Sunday, January 11, 2015

Introducing your ranting trainer

After years of pressure from well meaning friends and colleagues I have finally given in, and created a blog.  Not because I couldn’t handle the pressure anymore, oh no.  More a case of:  very few people listen to sound advice, I’m talking myself hoarse on a daily basis, let’s find a place where I can rant and rave.  A place where I can share my knowledge and experience in the confusing world of health and fitness, perhaps if I give my advice in writing it will stick.  Or not.  Either way it will make me feel better knowing I got all that good stuff off my ample chest.

Of course, if I was a doctor or a professor or a renowned psychologist people would swoon, fall at my feet and lap up any advice I give them, good or bad.  But I’m neither, I’m just one person who has experienced first hand the long walk from fat to fabulous.  Then went out and earned her National Certificate of Fitness so she can share this real world experience with people just like her.

Hell, even my bank was sceptical about my plans:  you mean you want our money to start a private fitness studio?  Are you serious, they said.  No way, that is the most ridiculous idea we’ve heard this year, please leave this office, you are wasting our time.  

I left the bank’s office with a $10 bill in my back pocket.  And used that $10 as a deposit on a boxing bag to start a 100% private fitness studio called Basic Orange.  You’re probably thinking why did I call it Basic Orange.  Simple:  I wanted a name that is easy to remember.  Something that doesn’t have the word “fitness” in it because everyone else already rode that horse.  “Basic” because exercise does not have be complicated to be effective, all you need are the “basics”.  And orange because I happen to like that colour. 

Why did I start a private fitness studio?  Well, during my fat to fabulous journey I felt intimidated by larger commercial gyms.  I felt everyone was looking at me (I have since learned everyone WAS looking at me).  I was surrounded by beautiful bodies and great muscles, and spent most of my time feeling depressed and inferior.  I went looking for a private gym, a place where it was just my big body and a trainer.  But couldn’t find one that private, no matter where I went there were always people wandering in and out, and in my mind they were all gawking and sniggering.

So I started a fitness studio that is SO private, some people think it’s closed.  A place where everyone is welcome and the doors are locked so nobody can wander in to gawk and snigger.  A place where you don’t get judged, and receive the advice you need to make that change you’re looking for.

And the bank, that sceptical institution I mentioned earlier?  4 years later they lend me the money to open a second private fitness studio.  No questions asked…. 

Stay tuned for a weekly blog in which I will try my best to give you the very best real word advice that I can think of.  Of course, if there is a particular subject you want more information on don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
Your ranting trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment